EDWARDSBURG, MI – Sheriff Joseph M Underwood Jr. reports his office responded to and is investigating a Carbon Monoxide poisoning which took place at 66280 Indigan Ln in Edwardsburg on Friday, February 5th, 2016 at approximately 5:33 a.m.
Initially, Cass County Central Dispatch received a call of a medical emergency from the residence indicating that the caller felt dizzy, short of breath, feeling faint. Life Care ambulance was dispatched and on arrival, found multiple victims suffering from Carbon Monoxide poisoning in the residence. Medics checked the house and found five family members: Elizabeth Weston-Hammang, 41-years-old; David Hammang, 46-years-old; 3 Children – Ian, Clark and Ava Hammang 5-years-old/5-years-old/3-years-old; all were suffering from poisoning. These five family members had been on the first and second floors of the residence at the time of the incident.
Medics found Andrew A. Weston, 43-years-old, from Columbus, Indiana, in the basement bedroom of the residence, near the suspected source of the poisoning. Andrew Weston was non-responsive and pronounced deceased.
A Cass County Medical Examiner Investigator was called to the residence and an autopsy is scheduled/pending to confirm the cause of death as Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
Initial investigation indicates that the source of the poisoning may have been from an enclosed pool Heating/Boiler system. The pool room and equipment room attached to the basement, near where Weston was found.
Columbus Indiana Police assisted in notifying Andrew Weston’s wife, Jennifer Baxter Weston of his passing from this incident.
Ontwa/Edwardsburg Fire Department responded to the scene and cleared the residence of the Carbon Monoxide through fans/venting of the house.
Life Care Ambulance was assisted on scene by Ontwa/Edwardsburg Ambulance and SMCAS Ambulance. The HAMMANG family was transported from the scene to both St Joseph Medical Center and South Bend Memorial for treatment.
Cass County Animal control assisted by taking the family’s dog to an area Veterinary service and is holding the dog for the family to pick up.