Austin Kane Wohlfeil, 16-years-old, and his 20-year-old brother where both shocked by the downed line in the backyard of their house on the 6000 block of Michael.
Unfortunately, Austin did not survive his injuries. There was nothing that EMS could do to save his life. He was pronounced dead at Beaumont Hospital in Dearborn.
The teen was trying to put out a fire caused by a downed power line. The incident happened at approximately 8:00 p.m., on July 8th, 2016, when the brothers saw smoke in their yard and a downed power line.
Austin Wohlfeil started pouring water on the fire, but there was a live wire underneath. The current traveled through the water and electrocuted him. His brother tried to pull Austin to safety but was unsuccessful. The brother was also shocked but survived.
Many of those who knew Austin took to social media to express their shock and disbelief. He was known as Audi to some.
A memorial fund has been setup in Austin’s name. If you would like to donate, please Click Here.
DTE released the following statement: